Friday, January 25, 2013

The Happiness Project


I guess I’ll start this thing! I’m actually in the middle of reading a book that I can’t get enough of. I first saw it on Jansen (Gates) Bradshaw’s book blog.  I’m usually on there just as soon as I’m at a reading standstill and so far she hasn’t let me down.  Anyway, it’s called “The Happiness Project” and it’s by Gretchen Rubin.  I had never heard of it but when I went to check it out at the library I was 17th in the hold line! By the time it was actually my turn I had moved to Vegas.  Luckily at the Paseo Verde library it was in my hands in a matter of a few days.  It’s basically about this lady who is already living a very happy life but feels like things could always be happier.  She takes on a year long project with a different goal in mind for every month.  It’s totally inspiring! Every chapter I have finished has left me feeling motivated.  She dedicates January to increasing her energy, February to her marriage etc.. After finishing January and reading about her organizing escapades, I finally cleaned out the trunk of my car and I swear I felt lighter.  

She is a mother of two so there is a lot that doesn’t necessarily pertain to my life but I think all the moms in this family would really enjoy it! I even think some of what I’m reading could potentially drift over into therapy sessions with future clients.  Her ideas are great and even if her idea of a “happiness project” might be different then mine, it’s gotten me on the thinking path! I’ve been reading with a pen in hand.  One of the quotes I wrote down the other day was, “Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that, but simply growth. We are happy when we are growing.” – William Butler Yeats.  Totally recommend reading it if you have time J  

(I just grabbed this picture off of google images...so no that is not my coffee ;)

1 comment:

  1. I was going to read this book this month, too, but I am 16th in line @ the belmont library

    ReplyDelete