Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Continuous Atonement


I finished reading “The Continuous Atonement” about 5 minutes ago.  In honor of Sunday, I figured I could write a little post about it.  I’ve been reading a little bit every Sunday for the last couple of months and always feel like I walk away with a new insight.  In his last couple of pages he talks about forgiving and remembering.   He says that when it comes to the wrong doings of others it is important to forgive and forget, but with our own issues we learn because we remember.  These opportunities for growth are part of what make each of us so special. He compares our lives to a polished marble.  The imperfections, once polished, are a piece of what makes that marble so beautiful.  Our imperfections also provide us with opportunities to draw closer to our Savior.  When we remember our mistakes, we can learn from them, and turn those weaknesses into strengths.

There really is a peace that comes from letting the atonement work through us.  Brother Wilcox includes a quote from President Hinckley where he says, “I know it isn’t easy. It’s discouraging at times, sure.  Aren’t you glad it isn’t just fun all the time? Those valleys of discouragement make more beautiful the peaks of achievement.”  That’s easier said when we aren’t in the valleys, but I have loved the many reassuring thoughts in this book.  There’s another story about Brad discussing the ups and downs of life, wishing things could just level out.  His wife, who also happens to be a nurse, interrupts him stating, “When you get hooked up to a heart monitor, you don’t want to see a straight line.  That’s the bad news.  It’s the ups and downs that let you know you’re alive.”  I’m pretty sure I’m one of the last people on the bandwagon with this one, but I’m so glad I took the time to read it J

No comments:

Post a Comment