Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Unbroken

I'll be honest, I forced myself to write about the last book before I could write about this one because I had been meaning to for awhile, but I REALLY wanted to write about this one. Has anyone read this? If you haven't, read it now. It is definitely my favorite book that I've read this year.  

"Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption" is about a man named Louis Zamperini, who was an Olympic runner and then was drafted into the air force. After multiple close calls, his luck finally ran out when his plane crashed into the ocean. What follows is a gripping story as Louis and two crew mates drift on a raft in the middle of the ocean, hoping for rescue, all the while battling off sharks and practically starving to death. And that isn't even the whole book, but I don't want to write too much and give anything away.

I could not put this book down, and the whole time I was reading I had to keep reminding myself that it is a true story. I also couldn't stop myself from talking to Ben about it, probably spoiling everything for him so he will never want to read it. 

Anyway, I really think everyone would like this book. I laughed, I cried, I learned a lot, and I came away from it loving Louis Zamperini and wishing that I could ask my dad if he remembers hearing about him. So go read it.

*Since it is a book about war, there is definitely violence, but I didn't feel like it was anything too descriptive or gratuitous. 

***Update*** I just found out my dad's first wife's brother was on the plane that crashed. CRAZY.

1 comment:

  1. Syd! I LOVED this book!! I listened to it on my flight to Thailand last April. There was something really eerie about flying over Tokyo while I listened to the stories. I totally second your recommendation! I can't believe that about your dad's first wife's brother!!! Crazy!!!

    ReplyDelete